Axional VLDB Foundation is the edge solution for Informix Database servers to solve the problem of managing Very Large Databases.
A very large database, or VLDB, is a database that contains an extremely high number of tuples rows, or occupies an extremely large storage space.
If large storage space is occupied by BLOB storage, Axional VLDB Foundation allows to store smartblobs in filesystems or Cloud providers like Amazon S3 or Glacier, outside database internal structures. This is done transparently by using special column type that can be used in a similar way like BLOB/CLOB.
- Using external blobs reduce the size of the database.
- Simplify backup, replication and recovery processes.
- Reduce time expended in administration tasks.
Allow off-premises storage in cloud providers or simple filesystem structures.
If VLDB has a huge number of rows in tables, solution to improve performance and reliability is to split database in multiple instances (a virtual appliance) with each instance handling the same database schema with partitioned data by key.
Axional VLDB Foundation offers hashing functions to determine destination data servers like simple hash, Consistent hash or Auto mapping hash. Coordinator functions are also provided to simplify client applications infrastructure.
Support VLDB functions allow to implement a model being:
- Simplier than a shard system.
- Every instance is non-dependant of the others.
- Issues in one single instance doesn’t impacts in the other instances.
- Backup or restore of each instance is independent.